Railwells, Wells Somerset, 11th/12th August
Saturday August 11th (10.30am to 5.30pm), Sunday August 12th (10am to 4.30pm)
WELLS TOWN HALL, WELLS, SOMERSET, BA5 2RB
A veritable feast of 2mm finescale layouts, including the complete North Cornwall Railway by John Greenwood (seven layouts in one), plus a strong supporting cast of "Callaton" by Mick Simpson", the revamped "Mini-MSW" by Alan Whitehouse and the debut of the massively small "Bordesley North" (all of 700mm x 365mm!) by Jim Allwood. Also a number of other layouts in other scales (including the last public showing of the P4 "Clutton" by Tim Venton), numerous traders and demonstrators.
Further details at -
AGM 2018 Burnmoor, Co. Durham, 6th October 2018.
This event is planned to be held at St. Barnabas Church Hall, Bournmoor,
County Durham. Further details to follow in due course.
The 2017 AGM was held at the same venue as the Farnham and District Model
Railway Show, on October 14th.
The Annual Model Making Competition
Competition classes are listed below. All competition entries should be on display by 12 midday. In addition to the competition classes, a display table for models is provided; please bring items along for display. All entries must be accompanied by a completed entry form (it would be helpful if this could be completed in advance - a copy can be found here). This will assist the Stewards in logging the entries and assist the Judge and Members by describing the entry in detail and the methods of construction used.
Note - the Dreadnought Trophy will not be awarded in 2017.
Competition classes are:
- The Groves Trophy - For the best locomotive produced during the year, judged on appearance, its running and mechanical excellence.
- The Neil Ballantine Quaich - For the best converted or modified proprietary locomotive.
- The John Barker Trophy - For the best rolling stock model. A model may be entered once only. Passenger and Goods vehicles are eligible, but goods stock entries must comprise a minimum of six axles.
- The Malcolm Stone Award - For the best non-rolling stock model, preferably with a railway flavour. Kit conversions are not excluded. Models, which were entered in previous years, may be re-entered, providing they have not won an Association award in the past.
- The Willis Cup - For the most ingenious and useful development to aid 2mm scale modelling produced during the year.
- The Steve Sykes Award - For the best pre-grouping (ie. pre-1923)
model (any category: locomotive, rolling stock or scenic/building).
The following are not competition classes, but are decided at the AGM.
- The Members' Choice Cup - For the best model judged by a ballot of members attending the AGM.
- The Chairman's Trophy - Awarded by the Chairman for what is considered the best model never to have previously won an Association prize.
- The Mike Bryant Cup - This is awarded to the person considered by the Chairman to have given the most outstanding services to the Association during the past year.
- The Geoff Balfour Memorial Award - Given to the person who is considered to have best promoted 2mm scale modelling and the Association through writings in the British modelling press during the past year.
- The Geoff Jones Layout Trophy - For the best layout (or part)
exhibited at an Association event during the current year
The AGM 2016 was be held on Saturday 15th October 2016 at Keen House, 4 Calshot Street, Kings Cross, London N1 9DA.
The results of the 2016 Competitions and Awards were as follows (photographs of entries can be found in the galleries);
Groves Trophy - Nigel Ashton for GWR 'Duke' locomotive 3287 'Mercury'
The Neil Ballantine Quaich - Alan Whitehouse for Class 123 Diesel Multiple Unit
The Dreadnought Trophy - David Eveleigh for North London Railway carriages
The John Barker Trophy - Andy Carlson for 'Putting a Tiger in Your Tank' - 3 tank wagons
The Malcolm Stone Award - Andrew Gibson for Underbridge TJC3-155 at Swinton
The Willis Cup - Laurie Adams for Point Rodding system
The Members Choice Cup - Ian Smith for GWR 'Metro' tank locomotive
The Chairmans Trophy - Tom Knapp for Paget London Christian Mission Building
The Mike Bryant Cup - Steve Cooper for Shop 2 Shopkeeper
The Geoff Balfour Memorial Award - Ian Smith for MRJ article on Baulk Road Trackwork (MRJ 244)
The Geoff Jones Layout Trophy - Tony Simms for Brafferton
Held at the St.Barnabas Church Hall, Bournmoor, Houghton-le-Spring, Co Durham, on Saturday 3rd October 2015.
Annual Model Making Competition 2015
The results of the 2015 Competition were as follows. Photographs of entries are found in the galleries:
- Groves Trophy - Alan Pearson for NCB Austerity 0-6-0ST with Lambton cab
- Neil Ballentine Quaich - Nick Mitchell for 90632 A Central Division WD 2-8-0 in the early 50s
- The Dreadnought Trophy -John Aldrick for GWR dia K22 Full Brake
- The John Barker Trophy -Anthony Yeates for Highland Railway open wagons
- The Malcolm Stone Award -Alisdair Campbell for Caledonian Railway Northern Division Signal Box
- The Willis Cup -Not awarded (no entries)
- The Members Choice Cup -Alisdair Campbell for Highland Railway 4-4-0 Loch Maree
- The Chairmans Trophy - Alan Pearson for rake of ex-NER Hopper wagons
- The Mike Bryant Cup -Mick Simpson for many years service as Magazine Editor
- The Geoff Balfour Memorial - award John Greenwood for article in MRJ on the North Cornwall Railway
- Geoff Jones Layout Trophy - John Greenwood for Wadebridge