The 2017 AGM will be held at the same venue as the Farnham and District Model Railway Show, on October 14th. Members will be able to view the regular model railway show (which usually has a number of finescale models present), as well as having access to the "2mm room" with the 2mm model competitions, Association Shop, and the formal AGM business.
The Farnham and District Model Railway show is described on the Farnham club's website.
Further details of the AGM will be published nearer the event.
The AGM 2016 was be held on Saturday 15th October 2016 at Keen House, 4 Calshot Street, Kings Cross, London N1 9DA, the home of the Model Railway Club. This is a short walk from Kings Cross railway station.
( The last time I visited Keen House, the door is a fairly anonymous dark door, with a couple of door bells to gain attention. I imagine that once the event is open, there will be someone at the door to welcome people into the building).
The doors open at 10am for the model displays, etc. and the formal AGM is at 2pm.
Amongst the things to see are the models Copenhagen Fields (and a chance
to look behind, without the usual deep crowds!), Pete Matcham's layout 'Kyle
of Lochalsh' and Mark Fielder's 'Pizza' layout. Laurie Adams will be displaying
some of the late Steve Sykes' pre-grouping wagon models and Noel Leaver
will be doing a mini-demonstration of the Faller car system. Plus the members
display stands and competitions (please bring something along to display!).
The Association's "central" (or travelling) shop will be in attendance.
The Annual Model Making Competition
Competition classes are. Please read the paragraph below about bringing your entry.
- The Groves Trophy For the best locomotive produced during the year, judged on appearance, its running and mechanical excellence.
- The Neil Ballantine Quaich For the best converted or modified proprietary locomotive.
- The Dreadnought Trophy For the best coaching stock model.
- The John Barker Trophy For the best rolling stock model (excluding Dreadnought Trophy entries). A model may be entered once only. Passenger and Goods vehicles are eligible, but goods stock entries must comprise a minimum of six axles.
- The Malcolm Stone Award For the best non-rolling stock model, preferably with a railway flavour. Kit conversions are not excluded. Models, which were entered in previous years, may be re-entered, providing they have not won an Association award in the past.
- The Willis Cup For the most ingenious and useful development to aid 2mm scale modelling produced during the year.
The following are not competition classes, but are decided at the AGM.
- The Members' Choice Cup For the best model judged by a ballot of members attending the AGM.
- The Chairman's Trophy Awarded by the Chairman for what is considered the best model never to have previously won an Association prize.
- The Mike Bryant Cup This is awarded to the person considered by the Chairman to have given the most outstanding services to the Association during the past year.
- The Geoff Balfour Memorial Award Given to the person who is considered to have best promoted 2mm scale modelling and the Association through writings in the British modelling press during the past year.
- The Geoff Jones Layout Trophy For the best layout (or part) exhibited
at an Association event during the current year
All competition entries should be on display by 12 midday.In addition to the competition classes, a display table for models is provided, please bring items along for display. All entries must now be accompanied by a completed entry form (found here). This will assist the Stewards in logging the entries and assist the Judge and Members by describing the entry in detail and the methods of construction used.
Held at the St.Barnabas Church Hall, Bournmoor, Houghton-le-Spring, Co Durham, on Saturday 3rd October 2015. 42 members signed the Attendance Book and the draft minutes are available. These will be ratified at the next AGM.
For the new Committee, see the Contacts Page.
Annual Model Making Competition 2015
The results of the 2015 Competition were as follows. Photographs of entries are found in the galleries:
- Groves Trophy - Alan Pearson for NCB Austerity 0-6-0ST with Lambton cab
- Neil Ballentine Quaich - Nick Mitchell for 90632 A Central Division WD 2-8-0 in the early 50s
- The Dreadnought Trophy -John Aldrick for GWR dia K22 Full Brake
- The John Barker Trophy -Anthony Yeates for Highland Railway open wagons
- The Malcolm Stone Award -Alisdair Campbell for Caledonian Railway Northern Division Signal Box
- The Willis Cup -Not awarded (no entries)
- The Members Choice Cup -Alisdair Campbell for Highland Railway 4-4-0 Loch Maree
- The Chairmans Trophy - Alan Pearson for rake of ex-NER Hopper wagons
- The Mike Bryant Cup -Mick Simpson for many years service as Magazine Editor
- The Geoff Balfour Memorial - award John Greenwood for article in MRJ on the North Cornwall Railway
- Geoff Jones Layout Trophy - John Greenwood for Wadebridge