BRIEF LAYOUT DESCRIPTION
Fence Houses station was opened in 1844 and closed in 1964. Situated in North East England, some 12 miles south of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 5 miles north of Durham City, and a similar distance west of Sunderland, the station was part of the original main line route to The North until 1872, when the present ECML through Durham City was opened.
Our chosen period is British Rail 1952 - 1962, using steam and diesel locomotives. Many mainline workings operated through Fence Houses, due to engineering works and diversions taking place on the main line. However, look out for some of our pre-grouping models that sometimes make an infrequent appearance!
Two miles north of Fence Houses is Victoria viaduct (see photograph below), some 800 feet long and 135 feet high. Built between 1836-1838, it is today a listed structure, though not currently in railway use....we live in hope!
12.7m x 2.7m (43ft x 9ft) including the operators working area. We await contradiction to our claim of being the largest 2mm Finescale layout in the world!