Lambourn

Layout originally built by Alan Martin, now owned by Richard Wilson

Black and White photographs: Philip Hall, reproduced by kind permission of the Model Railway Journal

Colour photographs: Alan Martin

Misty morning at Lambourn


Lambourn was the terminus of the Lambourn Valley Railway branch line, which opened in 1896, running the 12 miles from the terminus to the connection at Newbury. The line was taken over by the GWR in 1905 and run by them until the line closed in the 1960's.

The model depicts Lambourn during the summer of 1938. Apart from minor modifications the track layout, buildings and environs are to scale. Further photographs and information can be found in MRJ32.

Flying Banana and horseboxes. Lambourn being famous for its stables.

 


Prarrie tank engine approaching station with loaded coal train.

 

Signalman with transport home at end of the day.

 

Despite depth-of-field problems this gives an idea of the space available to 2mm modellers. The baseboard is only 1'3" wide!

The station entrance.