The eBoard, 2mm Notices
( Information updated 5th November 2013 ).
The 2mm Notices list, otherwise know as the eBoard provides a rapid method of distributing information to members about events, products and other items likely to be of interest to members.
The list will only send a few email messages, probably less than one a month.
The 2mm Notices list is not a discussion forum; email traffic is controlled (every message is approved by the moderation team). Replies are sent to the originator of the message. If you are seeking an email discussion area, then we suggest the Virtual Area Group.
When joining, or renewing your membership, we allow members to opt-in (and
opt-out) of receiving 2mm Notices emails. You can change this, or
your email address recorded for the system, at any time by contacting the
Association's data manager Jim Watt, (details of contact in every 2mm Newsletter).
Sending an announcement to the membership
If you have a message (see permitted content below) you wish to broadcast to the membership, send it to the administrators, via the email address 2mm_notices (at) 2mm.org.uk Your email address will appear in the message as a contact point for replies (see note on privacy).
The onward sending of the message has a manual step, so may take a day or so. With the manual step, we can be confident about all messages being appropriate for this service.
The description of permitted content will evolve; this is the current list:
- Specific events organised by Local Area Groups or individual members such as workshops, tutorials, meetings with invited guest speakers
- Exhibitions with a 2MM presence such as the Association stand or a 2MM scale layout
- Requests for help at exhibitions on Association stand or layouts
- Proposed new products sponsored by members or Local Area Groups
- Proposed new Local Area Group
- Member's sales of 2MM scale models, kits, tools, materials or books
- Notice of other events likely to be of interest to 2MM modellers
- Surveys (originated or approved by the 2mm Committee only)
Not Permitted Material
- Trade advertising
- Notice of regular Local Area Group meetings
- Items not specifically related to 2MM scale or not likely to be of special interest to 2MM modellers
The current moderation team are: Nigel Cliffe (list admin) and Mike Taylor.
Messages sent to the email list will have your email address as the sender.
Potentially this can go to 700 members of the Association.
We don't think this will result in you getting a sudden deluge of spam, but if you are extremely cautious and carefully maintaining a private email address with very limited circulation, you might consider whether you want a second email address for more public use.
Most ISPs will let you create additional addresses. Alternatively, you can sign up for one of several free email services, such as Yahoo!, MSN-Mail and GoogleMail. If really stuck, or concerned, contact the list moderators, or the webmaster, and we'll see what can be done.